September 23, 2009

I Would Walk 500 Miles...

One year ago today, an unassuming e-mail from Mr. Dachshund happened to be signed with, "I've got a crazy question for you... want to be my girlfriend?"  Mr. D and I met in an online video game that we both played, started "dating" before having met in person, and by the end of his first visit I knew that he the one. 

Then he went home.

Three months went by before our next visit.  Two months before the visit after that, then another two.  It's been a three months since I've seen him last, and although an end to this madness is in sight, the distance between us is sometimes unbearable.

We've only been "together" for 35 days of our first year together.  Meeting and falling in love with Mr. Dachshund has made this past year the best of my life, but it's been bittersweet.  Our days together are amazing, but saying goodbye is always difficult.  Missing him has led to more tears than all of my past failed relationships combined.  There are days when I have a hard time going about my routine because I miss him so much-- days when I wonder how it's fair that our life together is put on hold because he lives in another country.

And then, on those nights when I'm lying in bed, having cried every last tear, longing for the comfort of Mr. Dachshund next to me, I can't help but wish that I didn't have to go through this--that "the one" lived here and not one-thousand miles away.  Absence makes the heart ache, not grow fonder... old proverb my ass!

Tonight is especially difficult because it's our one-year point.  A night worthy of celebration for many couples; one that we'd normally spend connected via the internet-- but alas, Mr. D's internet is down, and his cell phone isn't working.  It just seems like there are nights when the stars are aligned against us.

I just keep telling myself that it won't be very much longer.

This morning when I was thinking about this post, I had planned on giving advice for surviving a long distance relationship.  Mr. D and I have made it this far, after all.  Despite all of my nay saying, we are happy.  The distance is definitely a drag but we've managed.  We both have good and bad days when it comes to being apart; today wasn't a good day for me.  I do have some good advice, though.  That'll be coming up next.

Happy anniversary, Love.  I wish I was there with you <3


How many of you have had to deal with distance in your relationships?  How do you deal with being apart?

No comments:

Post a Comment